Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Saori weaving,Solar dyeing, and catching up on happenings at the studio

Summer heat has it's advantages for fiber artists .I solar dye protein fibers with acid dyes.


soak your wool, silks, animal fiber in water with some white vinegar 



 my fibers left to right silk hankie blanks, Louet Icicle here ,wool top just a small portion of what I am dyeing.
 using my extracter to take some water out (saving the water  in buckets to rise after the fiber is dyed )
 covering the tables with black plastic or  black garbage bags
 applying dyes and kneading them in to the fibers


  large restaurant mayo jars filled  with dye and water for some fiber in emersion dyeing




 cover with more black  plastic , walk away for a few days come back.
I checked and  even after cool evenings in the 50's under the plastic the next morning the temp was still over 90 degrees in my home made " solar oven"! 
 after a few days I rinsed my fibers again saving the water or carring it to my planting and watering them so no water was wasted.


 fibers  dried in sun


 
from this





to this!  all colors set by the sun.
 


********************************************************************************

 Jennifer and Carole dropped by the studio

 they had fun trying on some of Saori  clothing pieces



  my  handwoven ruanna design...







  this piece is in my Etsy shop


 Four harness Saori inside set here  Now i have made available besides the 2 harness inside set in my shop a 4 h set for those of you with the 4 harness upgrade saori looms I have the 4 harnesss inside set which allows you to change out your weaving in a 10 minutes to another with out rethreading available now in my etsy shop.



peaceful weaving in the redwoods
Jill Niclolene Sanders




 cotton hand paint skeins in my etsy shop






1 comment:

I Love to hear from my blog readers
Jill