Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Saori Santa Cruz Teaching spinning on several wheels this week

The flu hit me last week but I am back catching up on my weaving and and back to my scheduled spinning classes!
This week was learn to spin on different models spinning wheels class. a new student said " I havent spun for over 20-25 years!" Lets look and see how this  spinning student did and what she accomplished .

 The first hour we practiced drop spinning, and plying .With that accomplished brilliantly.......





 ......we moved  on to the spinning wheel number one......

 FANTASTIC EVEN SINGLES !
 Then we moved on to the louet wheel and some finner fleece fibers......

What a joy to see that  usually our hands do not forget even after many years of absence . spinning is therapeutic , rhythmic , calming, peaceful.........


It is time for my annual self imposed  challenge , my  weave a yard a day for 30 day at this time of year. I take this all very seriously, and if I am busy one day unable to weave, i must weave ahead the previous day so I won't get behind. It becomes a integral part of my life. I may weave most days but something about focusing on this yard a day and  always being prepared to weave is very centering.
i will need to wind several more warps to get my 30 yards besides dressing and threading the loom to keep up.


Winding my dragon"s scale cotton warp.



 warp wound
warp chained
 warp sleyed and threaded
 warp beamed on
 Tied on, Header woven , now I am ready to  start to weave tomorrow my yard a day for 30 days .

peaceful weaving and spinning in the redwoods
jill nickolene

www.saorisantacruz.com
my etsy shop


3 comments:

  1. Fabulous photo record of your student's re-aquaintance with spinning, and she looks so content.
    I love the colours you've chosen for your weaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for your comments. Spinning is is so relaxing and when i have a chance to teach someone this ancient craft it is fulfilling for me as well.
      My textures and colors in my weaving come from dreams i have of designs and myths from the mists of my mind.

      Delete
  2. HIm looks like a really nice spindle as well :-) love teaching people to spin or even just showing how it works x Do like the scarf colours and textures x

    ReplyDelete

I Love to hear from my blog readers
Jill